Inquiry

Term 4 – “How can I design or improve a product to meet a need?”

Success Criteria

• I can complete the Design Brief in my Google Drive.
  • I can invent/innovate a product that is realistic and possible to create.
  • I can make a prototype of my product.
  • I can present/launch my product at the Expo.
  • I can provide information about my product for others (poster, advertising, procedure text on how I made it).
  • I can use my time effectively.

Immersion

Term 3

Inquiry Success Criteria.

These are the steps you will need to follow to successfully complete your inquiry project this Term;

• Brainstorm.
  • KWL.
  • Develop a good open-ended question.
  • Research using at least 4 sources (books, websites, people) including one primary source.
  • Get the information.
  • Put the information in your own words.
  • Show John your work/research.
  • Bibliography showing where you found your information.
  • Present your learning: Slideshow, pic collage, Imovie, poster, e-book, model, pamphlets/brochures, google site/website.

Week 4

Inquiry Must Do Activities

Firstly this week, once you have brainstormed your key wondering and question, complete a KWL chart about what you already know about your topic and what you want to learn.

KWL Chart

Now explore this website Young Immigrants and  read about the lives and experiences of each young immigrant. View their videos.

On your blog record the following things:

1. Young immigrant’s name.
  2. Where they came from.
  3. What their experience of immigrating was like.
  4. The similarities and differences between their country of origin and their new country.

Week 3

Immigration Timeline

In small groups of two/three you will be given at decade (10 year period) from Australia’s history. Visit the following website and read about immigration history in that decade. 

http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/websites-mini/immigration-timeline/

On an A4 piece of paper, write down facts you have learned and draw a picture about that decade. We will make a large wall-timeline about Immigration History in Australia in our learning space.

Week 2 – Friday

Screenshot 2014-07-24 19.34.16

Find the definitions for the following terms and write them in your workbooks:

• immigration/migration
  • multiculturalism
  • cultural diversity

Now reflect in your workbooks on how these three terms/ideas are related or connected to each other. 

Finally, once you have finished this, visit the blogs of at least 3 other students and comment on their Immersion reflections.

Term 3 – Immersion

Post World War 2: 1945 – 1965

Imagine you are someone living in Europe after World War 2 who is migrating to Australia for a new life. As you work through the three stations, complete the following sheet as you reflect on what you see, hear and learn…

Immersion reflections

Station 1: Europe after WW2

Click on the picture below to learn how the borders of Europe changed over the last century, between 1900 and 1945.64262-004-A047E14C

Click on the picture below to read about the events that followed the end of WW2 in Europe.

WWII_Unexploded_Bomb_London

Watch the following videos about migration to Australia. 

Station 2: Journey to Australia

Welcome to the Commonwealth of Australia immigration and assisted passage enquiry office. Take a look at the posters advertising immigration to Australia in the 10-15 years after WW2. What do you find interesting about them? What are they selling people? 

Read some personal accounts of the journey by ship from Britain and Europe to Australia here:

SS Asturius

Watch the following video about why people migrated to Australia and about their journeys here, often by ship. 

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/makingaustralia/v3/js/assets/dcr/R1320/index.html

During the 1950’s and 1960’s, British citizens were offered ‘assisted passage’ to Australia, help to migrate here. The Australian government paid for their journey; the British migrants only had to pay 10 pounds.

Station 3: Welcome to Australia

When new immigrants arrived in Australia, they were processed including paperwork and medical exams. Have a look at the examples of these documents. See if you could fill out a ‘processing sheet’.

For British immigrants, life is Australia was very similar to life in Britain. For new immigrants from other parts of Europe, settling into Australian society was a little more difficult.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/makingaustralia/educationextras/episode-two/clip-two.htm

Commonwealth Games 2014

Learning Intentions: To understand what countries make up the Commonwealth and what the Commonwealth games are.

The Story of the Games

• Learning Task: Map the journey taken by the SS Shipshape.

world map

• Click on the link below and read about the Commonwealth Games. Make an A3 poster or slideshow showing what you know about the games.

glasgow2014

Term 2 – “How can I live a healthy life?”

How can I keep a healthy body, mind and spirit? 

body-mind-spirit-yncngw

In preparation for our Expo, visit the following school website and have a look at some of the great displays students put together for their learning expo!

http://www.lepage.vic.edu.au/teaching-and-curriculum/3/56-international-expo/55176/

Success Criteria:

1. I can brainstorm ideas to research about healthy living.
  2. I can come up with a BIG QUESTION?
  3. I can brainstorm mini questions to guide my research (at least 4-5 questions).
  4. I can research my topic using at least ONE primary source and 2 other sources (books/internet).
  5. I can present my findings including a written component and a creative component (poster, sample healthy food, footy clinic).
  6. I can include a Bibliography of my sources. 

Week 6 – Finding Out

This week we are Finding Out about our topic/question. This week we need to do the following:

• Find resources
  • Survey and collect data if you need to
  • Check information/data to see if it is correct and relevant
  • Use graphic organisers to help collect information

Use two of the following graphic organisers and complete them about your topic:

KWL Chart

CAMPER_for_the_internet

spider chart

lotus_diagram_template

A-to-Z-brainstorming

Sleep

Read the following about sleep:

sleep

1. Write on your blog what you learnt about sleep and why it is important

2. Complete the following sleep chart

http://www.cyh.com/library/sleep_chart.pdf

3. Sleep quiz

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=152&id=1771#3

Fitness

Click on the link to read about physical activity…

Children – getting them active – Better Health Channel

Click on the picture to learn more about fitness…

exercise

1. Why is it important to be fit?

2. Portia and Serena’s Mum is visiting on Wednesday morning to talk about her job as a Personal Trainer.  Write 3 questions to ask her.

3. Write a timetable for the exercise you do in a usual week.

4. Set yourself a goal for exercise this term in your own time at lunch time or after school.

Week 2 – Friday

header_iced_fruit_kebabs_4e37_header

1. Click on the Fruit Kebabs above to test your knowledge about healthy eating and living. At the end of the term, you can test yourself again to see if you have learnt more about healthy living and eating.

balanced plate

2. Click on the picture above to make a balanced plate.

alisha and ronnie

3. Help Alisha and Ronnie make good food choices during the day.

nicola 4. Help Nicola and Jordan keep in energy balance.

Werribee Community Inquiry Project

Please read over the following Word document. In it is the success criteria we developed as a group for the project. It also includes the self-assessment and assessment rubric I will use to mark your project.

Keep in mind what is required for a project at and above standard when you work on your project. 

MARKING – INQUIRY PROJECT – OUR COMMUNITY

Werribee in the Future….

Brainstorm some “I wonder…?” statements about Werribee in the future. In your Inquiry books draw a picture about what you think Werribee will look like in 50 years time….

***

Werribee Today

Brainstorm some “I wonder…?” statements about Werribee today. What are some things that you might like to learn about modern Werribee? What are some things you might like to learn about our community today?

Go to the following website and read about Modern Werribee. Create an advertising brochure about Werribee for someone from another part of Australia. 

imgres

Success Criteria: * Brochure has at least five paragraphs about Werribee; * Information is written in your own words; * Brochure has pictures; * Information is presented neatly.

*

Post War Immigration

What are some “I wonder…?” statements you have about Werribee in the Post-War (after World War Two, late 1940’s-early 1950’s)?

Why did British Immigrants come to Australia?

Italian Immigrants – What skills did Italian Immigrants bring to Australia?

Early Settlers in Werribee

Visit the following website and gain an insight into the Early Years of Werribee…

270px-Werribeepark

Werribee Park – Chirnside era

Thomas and Andrew Chirnside, leaders of the Victorian squattocracy, arrived in Australia in 1838 and 1841 respectively. Armed with determination and motivated by their family motto ‘Do or die’, the brothers set about creating a vast pastoral empire. Werribee Park Mansion is testament to their successful business venture while offering visitor of today an insight into a bygone era.

The exquisite 60-room Italianate Mansion is Victoria’s largest and most elaborate private residence. Taking three years to build it was completed in 1877 and remained within the Chirnside family until 1922.

Initially purchased by Philip Lock, a self-made wealth grazier from Warrnambool, it was sold again a year later to the Roman Catholic Bishops of Australia for development as a seminary.

How did the community of Werribee develop? What attracted the early settlers to the area? 

Your task: Imagine you are an early settler who has moved to Werribee in the 1850’s. Write a letter to a family member or close friend back in England. Tell them what life is like in the new community of Werribee. What are the buildings like? Who else makes up the community? What work do you do? What food do you eat?

***

Aboriginal Life in Werribee

The Wyndham City Council area, which we are a part of, was the traditional home of the Wathaurung people who lived to the west of the Werribee River, and the Wurundjeri people who lived to the east of the Werribee River, including all of modern-day Melbourne. View the following short video clips about aspects of life before English settlement.

My Place: Snakebite

My Place: Fishing

My Place: Water

Click on the picture below to take you to the My Place website to discover more about Aboriginal communities before English settlement. In your Inquiry books, write down at least 5 interesting facts, and at least 5 “I wonder” statements about Aboriginal life and community prior to English settlement.

My Place

Different Communities Around the world – An African Masai Community and an American Farm.

Watch the 2 videos and also think of Werribee.

Using the Venn Diagram do these tasks:

1. Put the name Africa, America and Werribee in each circle.

2. List some of the things that would only be found in each community.

3. List some things that are in all 3 communities.

Venn-diagram-3-circles

Term 1 – Week 2

Here are two great ideas about what community is from our classmates:

Community is: “A big group of people that do activities together” Regina.

Community is about: “Relationships with one another” Charles.

Must do: Create a timeline of important dates using information from the following website, or other sources.

http://www.intown.com.au/locals/werribee/history.htm

Term 1 – Week 1

community

After you have completed your pre-assessment mind map, think about all of the communities you think you might belong to. Think about how you give to each community you belong to, and how this community gives to you. Complete the sheet below then email it, or hand it in, to me.

Community Giving

1-community

Our Term 1 Inquiry topic is Community.

Pre-Assessment: Create a mind map on an A3 piece of paper about Community. Think about the following questions to help you complete your mind map.

What comes to mind when we think of community? What is Community? Which ones do we belong to? How do we know we belong to a community?

The following are some examples of mind maps to help you out:

originalhealth-mapFocus-mindmap-for-web

You might also like to have a look at this website to read an easy and brief explanation of how to make your own mind map: http://www.braintraining4kids.com/how-to-mind-map/