Religion

ADVENT

advent_wreath_sm_wk4

The Prophet Isaiah

1. Choose one of the four names given to Jesus in the Isaiah text and illustrate.

“Wonderful Counsellor”, “Mighty God”, “Eternal Father” and “Prince of Peace”.

2. Explore the following questions:
  • What did peace mean to Isaiah?
  • What does peace mean to us?
  • What stops peace in our lives?
  • Jesus the Prince of Peace: what does this mean to me?
3. Make own symbols of peace to hang on the Jesse Tree.
4. Y-chart: A just and peaceful world – looks like, feels like, sounds like.

*

The Jesse Tree

jesse-tree1 sample_llco_nl_Jesse_Tree tree_of_jesse jessetree

In small groups of no more than 4, researches the Advent person you pull from a hat!

The following questions might guide the research as well as your own questions:

• When and where did the person live?
  • What are some of the important events in the person’s life?
  • How might this event look in a modern-day setting?
  • What might have happened if this person hadn’t acted or spoken as they did?
  • What were the strengths and weaknesses of this character?

Record your findings IN YOUR WORKBOOK. This task MUST be completed by the end of Wednesday’s lesson.

*

*

Week 4

Let’s take Action:

1. In groups of up to 3 complete the following:

• Research about an environmental issue
  • Why is it an issue?
  • Make a creative way to get people to understand about the issue and an action people can take to improve it.
  • Be CREATIVE!!! Make an ad campaign, a video, a dance or song…

2. Complete your prayer to God thanking God for Creation, making a good copy for our Religion Group prayer book. 

Week 6

Book Week

tumblr_muqb6regvL1rzlgoko1_1280

Week 4: St Mary of the Cross MacKillop

After viewing the video above, click on the picture to explore the timeline of Mary MacKillop’s life. Then complete the activity.

suzanne_byrne-Mary-MacKillop

Term 3

Choose Justice, Be Compassionate!

At the end of last Term and in Week 1 we brainstormed some ideas to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Our group came up with some fantastic ideas, including performing for the elderly at the nursing home, food drives, knitting drives and donating toys to sell and raise money. Connecting our learning to our actions, we will raise money for St Vincent de Paul Society.

Screenshot 2014-07-18 15.57.40

Week 10, Term 2

Monday:

Tuesday:

Visit the following Vinnies website about how schools can become involved in St Vinnies – http://www.vinnies.org.au/page/Get_Involved/Involve_your_school/VIC/

In your workbooks, brainstorm who in our local community might need extra help, and how we could help them?

Week 9, Term 2

Giving to the poor – St. Vincent de Paul Society

Matthew 25:31-46

New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)

The Judgment of the Nations

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’ Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

biglogo

Your task: Go to the following website to have a look at all the things the St Vincent de Paul Society does to help people.

http://www.vinnies.org.au/findhelp#!vic

In your Religion workbook, write down how the society helps people under the following headings (choose at least 3):

Aged Care

Disability Employment

Food

Health and Wellbeing

Housing

pentecost

PENTECOST 

Would you believe me if I told you it was still Easter??

Pentecost is the last day of Easter in the Church calendar – that’s right, Easter is a 50 day feast!

We are going to explore the message of Jesus after His Resurrection until Pentecost.

We will create a timeline to display in the learning space in small groups. Each group will look at one of the 6 Resurrection Appearances. Each group will put on their poster the following:

• The name of the story
  • The Bible reference
  • A short summary
  • A picture

Post Resurrection Appearances

Wordle: John's Passover Eucharist

The Last Supper and the Mass

How is the Mass like the Last Supper? After discussing this in class, click on the heading above to go the the “Together at one Altar” website. Read one or two accounts of the Last Supper.

Record in your Religion books the words of Jesus at the Last Supper that are the same as the Priest’s words in the Liturgy of the Eucharist below:

On the day before he was to suffer he took bread in his holy and venerable hands, and with eyes raised to heaven to you, O God, his almighty Father, giving you thanks he said the blessing, broke the bread and gave it to his disciples, saying:

Take this, all of you, and eat it: for this is My Body which will be given up for you. 

In a similar way, when supper was ended, he took this precious chalice in his holy and venerable hands, and once more giving you thanks, he said the blessing and gave the chalice to his disciples, saying:

Take this, all of you, and drink from it: for this is the chalice of My Blood, the Blood of the new and eternal Covenant, which will  be poured out for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins. Do this in memory of Me. 

2011-09_TheMass

PARTS OF THE MASS

HARVEY
By Judith Viorst

Harvey doesn’t laugh about how I stay short while everybody grows.
Harvey remembers I like jellybeans –except black.
Harvey lends me shirts I don’t have to give back.
I’m scared of ghosts and only Harvey knows.

Harvey thinks I will when I say someday I will marry Margie Rose.
Harvey shares his lemonade –sip for sip.
He whispers “zip” when I forget to zip.
He swears I don’t have funny looking toes.

Harvey calls me up when I’m in bed with a sore throat and a runny nose.
Harvey says I’m nice –but not too nice.
And if there is a train to Paradise,
I won’t get on it unless Harvey goes.

Week 4

St  Matthew

Learning Intention: I can find facts within a text and compare to a second text of the same story.

Task:

1. Read 2 of the stories about St. Matthew. Highlight 8 interesting facts in 1 article. See if you can find a matching fact in the other article that says the same answer. Remember if it is different.

2. Create a picture of St. Matthew on A3 paper.

3. List the 8 facts or the 2 different answers around your art work.

St. Matthew

**

The Gospel Writers – who were they?

The four writers of the gospels were different men with different backgrounds. Two of the writers Matthew and John were disciples of Jesus Christ. Three were Jews; Luke was a Gentile.

Matthew

Matthew, son of Alphaeus was a tax collector, a Levite and a writer. When Jesus called him as a disciple, he immediately stood up, left everything, and followed Jesus. Matthew wrote about the Messiah, the King. His audience he wrote to was the Jews. The book of Matthew that refers to Jewish customs without explaining them, because his audience was familiar with the customs. He uses Jewish terminology and often quotes from the Old Testament.

Mark

John Mark was the son of Mary, a friend of the apostles. His mother owned a house and he was the cousin of Barnabas. Mark travelled with Paul and Barnabas; he left them on the journey and was the cause of a dispute between Barnabas and Paul. He is probably the young man we read about in Mark 14:51-53 that followed Jesus and then hid in the garden of Gethsemane. When Jesus was captured he fled naked. The book portrays the Servant to those in need. The audience he wrote to was probably the Romans. The book is evangelic in nature, full of actions and one do not need a Jewish religious background to understand the book. The book is written in the common language of the day.

Luke

Luke the doctor was an Antiochian Gentile, Greek speaking, highly educated and was probably converted to Christianity in Antioch. He was friends with Paul and travelled with him to Asia and Jerusalem. He remained behind in Philippi as the pastor there. His audience was the Greeks, the Gentiles. Luke wrote two books and both the books Acts and Luke were addressed to Theophilus. Acts summarises and follows on the book of Luke. Luke writes about the resurrection and places the emphasis on the Holy Spirit. He portrays the humanity of Jesus Christ.

John

John the beloved disciple of Jesus wrote 5 books, the book of John, John I, John II, John III and Revelation. He is one of the sons of Zebedee, was a fisherman of Galilee and his mother, Salome was probably the sister of Mary.  The book of John is written to the church and written in gentile surroundings in Asia Minor, most likely in Ephesus. He portrays the Son of God; the gospel of John is the gospel of belief.

FUN TRIVIA FACTS ABOUT THE GOSPELS: CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO FIND OUT MORE.

gospelwriters

Week 3 

banquet

Read the following Scripture Passages from Matthew and Luke about the Great Banquet

The Great Banquet

1. Read the Scripture Passages and compare the similarities and differences between the 2 stories

2. Complete this graphic organiser

Venn Diagram graphic organizer

3. Create a spot the difference picture with the 2 stories

4.  Why do you think the 2 stories are different?

Week 1

He is Risen! Alleluia! Alleluia!!

Watch the story of the Road to Emmaus. Complete the What’s the Message activity.

HOLY WEEK

Let’s now focus on the events of Holy Week…

You will now choose one day during Holy Week to research and present to the class about…

You will:

1. Choose a day of Holy Week.
  2. Read the related Gospel Passage and retell the story.
  3. Research the history of the day (how do we commemorate the day? do we eat special food on that day? do we do special things in Church on that day?)
  4. Present your information in a creative way.

Choose one of the following – click on the picture to take you to some information about the day.

palm-sunday-title-slide053

Palm Sunday Luke 19:36-38

holy_thursday_2011

Holy Thursday Luke 22:14-23

good_friday_009

Good Friday Luke 23:33-34.

LENT

Let’s take the time now to reflect on what we have learnt so far about Lent…

tumblr_n1yqo8yZy71qfvq9bo1_1280

lent-wordcloud_2

*

Jesus heals a man blind from birth:

Answer these questions in your Religion book

1. How do you feel as you read/hear this story?

2. How do you think the man healed of his blindness felt?

3. What are the events that happen in this story?

4. What have you learnt about Jesus or others in this story? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7INnvnHrlg

Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well

Love God and share your things; Love other people

Care for others; Be thankful for what you have

Don’t be against people, be kind to them

Jesus will give us special water and we will never be thirsty again – Baptism

We made pretzels on Wednesday, 12th March 2014 to learn about how people used to fast and eat only plain food during Lent.

Pretzels

*

break for fruits

brazil_130317_8327 

Our KWL chart…

LENT KWL

What does following Jesus Christ mean during Lent?

How can Christians grow closer to Jesus Christ during the Lenten season?

Week 5

The Prodigal Son

Using the Parable of the Prodigal Son as inspiration, choose one of the following three tasks:

1) Create a digital/multimedia presentation of the Prodigal Son, including the Four Stages of Reconciliation. 

2) Create a puppet show to share with the Juniors. Show the teacher a script before making puppets. 

3) Conduct an investigation about why the Parable would have been shocking for the people listening to Jesus tell the story.

***

Week 4

Zacchaeus the Tax Collector

Term 1 – Week 3

Wordle: Forgiveness2Johnlc2

Term 1 – Week 2

The Good Samaritan

Showing CARE for others

Good Samaritan icon

We are learning about the Parable of the Good Samaritan, who helps a Jewish man who is injured and has been robbed, even though the Jews and Samaritans never interacted. In fact, they hated each other. A priest and a Levite passed by the injured man without helping, as this would have made them unclean. The Samaritan, despite the hatred between them, helped the injured man, took him to an inn, and even paid the innkeeper to take care of him.

This leaves us with the thought… who showed care in this story and how? Who is our neighbour?